The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
Thoughts on the new MBPs? Vote_lcapThoughts on the new MBPs? Voting_barThoughts on the new MBPs? Vote_rcap 
Coda
Thoughts on the new MBPs? Vote_lcapThoughts on the new MBPs? Voting_barThoughts on the new MBPs? Vote_rcap 
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

Thoughts on the new MBPs?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Powerlevel : 5184

Thoughts on the new MBPs? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 am

Even the base MBP is now looking pretty nice. An i5 and 4GB RAM for £840 / $1350 isn't too bad, especially given the build quality of Apple's laptops. I'm not a Macfag, and I'll still be taking my PC with Windows and Ubuntu installed on it to university. The MBP would be more for portability, and I would be able to develop iOS applications for some extra money.

What do you think about them?
Back to top Go down
dotbran

dotbran

Powerlevel : 4792

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:59 pm

They're benching about double what the previous MBPs were, and Thunderbolt is hopefully going to open up a lot of opportunities for peripherals (though I was hoping for more than 10W output). I'd consider them a pretty good buy.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 am

It seems that they're finally matching up to PCs with price/performance. I would have previously been willing to fork out for a MBP, but I would feel bad. Now I won't even feel bad at all, especially with the ~13% education discount, they're really good value.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

Powerlevel : 5427

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 3:51 am

so i had heard about light peak being used in other ways besides peripherals. you think this will create external/universal graphic cards?
Back to top Go down
https://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
so i had heard about light peak being used in other ways besides peripherals. you think this will create external/universal graphic cards?

Possibly. There's speak of it reaching up to 100Gbps but I'm not too sure of the technicalities of data transfer with a graphics card. I wouldn't imagine that it's the same as using an external device.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

Powerlevel : 5427

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Coda wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

Possibly. There's speak of it reaching up to 100Gbps but I'm not too sure of the technicalities of data transfer with a graphics card. I wouldn't imagine that it's the same as using an external device.

I had heard this technology could potentially replace Pcie as well as usb in some cases. I think it just depends on the bus speed. right now i hear it can get 10gb/s but its still new so i wouldnt doubt it would get as high as 100gb/s. at those speeds if it can actually get that high i wouldnt doubt it would replace most bus types.
Back to top Go down
https://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the new MBPs?   Thoughts on the new MBPs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the new MBPs?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: Mac General :: Mac Threads-
Jump to: