The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
MIDI Interface Vote_lcapMIDI Interface Voting_barMIDI Interface Vote_rcap 
Coda
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

MIDI Interface

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Powerlevel : 5042

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm

So, I have a MIDI keyboard, but I need an interface for my computer. Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
TheOvermind

TheOvermind

Powerlevel : 4833

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

i say go with flstudio 9 Very Happy its rather expensive but i think its worth it Very Happy ive made some rather catchy beats with it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

Powerlevel : 5460

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

TheOvermind wrote:
i say go with flstudio 9 Very Happy its rather expensive but i think its worth it Very Happy ive made some rather catchy beats with it Very Happy

i use reason myself, ive tried flstudio, i feel like that samples in reason and its processing is more built around musicians and more realistic. not that i use it for such ventures lol. ive tried both i prefer the feel of reason as a midi composition software, also i started with racks and a standalone recorder and reason lets you wire signal paths and racks like real life. i love audacity for recording samples and fast mastering of live tracks. anyone running osx or linux try ardour for some cool shit, but thats designed more around recording live stuff, tho it has a great sequencer. those are my three softwares of choice. i never just use one.

one thing i gotta give flstudio props on is the level of modifications and detail of it that it can do to a sample, but i prefer reason still.
Back to top Go down
https://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Powerlevel : 5193

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 pm

I would check out what Newegg, Microcenter, and TigerDirect carry. Then I would hit my local Guitar Center and ask the geeks there. Then I would flip a coin based on my budget.

Good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/youshouldleavenow/
TheOvermind

TheOvermind

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
one thing i gotta give flstudio props on is the level of modifications and detail of it that it can do to a sample, but i prefer reason still.

true on alot of what you said i have never tried reason i will give it a shot but i like flstudio because of how semi complicated yet easy it is once you figure it out Very Happy ill get on that trying reason
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 pm

are you just trying to use the midi keyboard for vitrual instruments? or do you want to use it for live work or drumming? what exactly do you want to do? then i can suggest stuff
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
TheOvermind wrote:

i use reason myself, ive tried flstudio, i feel like that samples in reason and its processing is more built around musicians and more realistic. not that i use it for such ventures lol. ive tried both i prefer the feel of reason as a midi composition software, also i started with racks and a standalone recorder and reason lets you wire signal paths and racks like real life. i love audacity for recording samples and fast mastering of live tracks. anyone running osx or linux try ardour for some cool shit, but thats designed more around recording live stuff, tho it has a great sequencer. those are my three softwares of choice. i never just use one.

I use a couple different DAWs already, but I'd still like to give Reason a look if you still don't mind burning me a copy. What I'm mainly asking about, though, is the actual hardware interface.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
are you just trying to use the midi keyboard for vitrual instruments? or do you want to use it for live work or drumming? what exactly do you want to do? then i can suggest stuff

I'd like to use virtual instruments, but mostly I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. Afterward, I'll figure it out and make use of whatever I can. I don't see how that affects which interface I should buy, though.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm

wtf? Who gave you the neg rep? lol
Back to top Go down
TheOvermind

TheOvermind

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 pm

hey whats reputation and how do i get some, i deffinately have zero.. anyways um im using flstudio9 right now to make music for my newgrounds Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm

TheOvermind wrote:
hey whats reputation and how do i get some, i deffinately have zero.. anyways um im using flstudio9 right now to make music for my newgrounds Very Happy

You get rep from people voting your comments up or down. Doesn't seem like anyone's really making use of it though, lol.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

FLstudio9 and Reason are just DAWs, right? I'll test them out at some point, but I'm going to work with what I have for the time being. Just looking for advice on hardware at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 pm

TheOvermind wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

true on alot of what you said i have never tried reason i will give it a shot but i like flstudio because of how semi complicated yet easy it is once you figure it out Very Happy ill get on that trying reason

reason is pretty easy too, but depending on ur genre it might not do much. i can do dubstep and dnb but there are some drum machines and things that are better. and its samples for the more tech genres is small. however it has amazing synths, good live drums out of box, and excellent sequencer and amazing effects, i prefer them to a lot of rack fx i have used. reason is good for jazz, classical, and if u get good kits and some more effects racks it will do anything. i like slayer, pendulum, and carl orf and it does all of that well.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:11 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
FLstudio9 and Reason are just DAWs, right? I'll test them out at some point, but I'm going to work with what I have for the time being. Just looking for advice on hardware at the moment.

reason is like garageband on steroids. has all the instruments and everything u need to mix stuff with a keyboard. however: dont rely on it to record line it or any live instrument, u have to use a partner software to do stuff and its not good at that. daws are like logic, pro tools, ardour, audacity, cakewalk etc, and those often dont have plugins or antyng to record stuff with.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Can't just use your own VSTi's?
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

lol, I know what DAWs are. I don't have any experience with reason, though. I just figured I'd use my own VSTi's in Reaper or Ableton Live. Any reason that wouldn't work?
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
lol, I know what DAWs are. I don't have any experience with reason, though. I just figured I'd use my own VSTi's in Reaper or Ableton Live. Any reason that wouldn't work?

as long as u got a midi sequencer should be fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

as long as u got a midi sequencer should be fine Very Happy

Would that be an entirely separate program? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a sequencer is. Kinda limited myself to live instruments up to this point.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 pm

If you're talking about the keyboard then I'm not sure exactly what it'll do. It has MIDI in and out, but I'm not really sure what you need in order for it to qualify as a sequencer.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:48 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
If you're talking about the keyboard then I'm not sure exactly what it'll do. It has MIDI in and out, but I'm not really sure what you need in order for it to qualify as a sequencer.

the sequencer would either be built into the daw or the vsts. ur keyboard is a midi input device
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

the sequencer would either be built into the daw or the vsts. ur keyboard is a midi input device

Wouldn't need a controller of any sort?
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

All of this sounds pretty overwhelming so far, lol. Just hoping to power through and get it all worked out as easily as possible.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 pm

the keyboard has a controller built in. only time u need a standalone controller is if u have things that are midi that connect via quaterinch, like a drum trigger or the sort. does your keyboard output in usb?
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm

No USB for my keyboard. Only 1/4" and MIDI in/out. That's why I was saying I need an interface. So, if my keyboard works as a controller already, then what would I be able to do with it? Would that work for something like creating my own beats?
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
No USB for my keyboard. Only 1/4" and MIDI in/out. That's why I was saying I need an interface. So, if my keyboard works as a controller already, then what would I be able to do with it? Would that work for something like creating my own beats?

sorry i thought ur keyboard had a usb out. get something like this and that should do the trick:

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-USB-Uno-1X1-MIDI-Interface?sku=701379
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Cool. I might grab one of those next quarter.

"So, if my keyboard works as a controller already, then what would I be able to do with it? Would that work for something like creating my own beats?"

^
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

u can do anything midi with it, including beats, just need to hook it up to pc with the thing in link i showed u
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
u can do anything midi with it, including beats, just need to hook it up to pc with the thing in link i showed u

Awesome! Thanks alot, neckbeard. Lot of questions, I know, lol.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

its all good i like to help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MIDI Interface Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIDI Interface   MIDI Interface Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MIDI Interface
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: Hardware-
Jump to: