The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Vote_lcapAnyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Voting_barAnyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Vote_rcap 
Coda
Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Vote_lcapAnyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Voting_barAnyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Vote_rcap 
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Powerlevel : 4947

Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Say you were going to build a habitat on the moon, as self-sustainable as possible, how would you do it? What would you include?
I think any base would need a steady supply of power, maybe solar? This is a topic that interests me, let's start a discussion guys Smile
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

Powerlevel : 5171

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:32 pm

BryGuy wrote:
Say you were going to build a habitat on the moon, as self-sustainable as possible, how would you do it? What would you include?
I think any base would need a steady supply of power, maybe solar? This is a topic that interests me, let's start a discussion guys Smile

have you seen the Apollo 18 movie clip? it's on youtube... i think i'd rather not live there
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

lol, ya, I've seen the clip, not too worried about alien lifeforms anywhere near us. I'm sure there are other life forms in the universe, but none of them know about us, or if they do, they can only see the us that existed 200 years ago...
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 pm

BryGuy wrote:
lol, ya, I've seen the clip, not too worried about alien lifeforms anywhere near us. I'm sure there are other life forms in the universe, but none of them know about us, or if they do, they can only see the us that existed 200 years ago...

still... even then, i'd be a little concerned. but i think it would be kinda cool in all honesty. i mean, think about it.. your going for a walk when suddenly...

Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? 12968810

this happens, then you'll be so glad that you just planted your moon farm, and think "ah, those poor suckers" and the woman there would be worried, because she said she'd only be with you if you where the last neckbeard alive, and well, it just so happens you and here were the only one's on the mission...
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:50 pm

clutch wrote:
BryGuy wrote:

still... even then, i'd be a little concerned. but i think it would be kinda cool in all honesty. i mean, think about it.. your going for a walk when suddenly...

Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? 12968810

this happens, then you'll be so glad that you just planted your moon farm, and think "ah, those poor suckers" and the woman there would be worried, because she said she'd only be with you if you where the last neckbeard alive, and well, it just so happens you and here were the only one's on the mission...

I feel like that went from scenario, to odd fantasy...
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 pm

BryGuy wrote:
clutch wrote:
BryGuy wrote:

I feel like that went from scenario, to odd fantasy...

HAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!! yes.. yes it did
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Powerlevel : 5188

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Doesn't matter if you are going to the Moon, or Mars, or a space station...

You need a minimum amount of equipment and resources. Once you have that minimum, you are independent and can sustain life indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/youshouldleavenow/
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

MOTOKO wrote:

You need a minimum amount of equipment and resources. Once you have that minimum, you are independent and can sustain life indefinitely.

The problem with that, is the fact that transportation of materials into space is roughly $25,000 per pound, which is very expensive, I'm talking about a base that would be able to produce the resources neccessary to survive. Food, oxygen, water, etc...
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 am

BryGuy wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:

The problem with that, is the fact that transportation of materials into space is roughly $25,000 per pound, which is very expensive, I'm talking about a base that would be able to produce the resources neccessary to survive. Food, oxygen, water, etc...

Yes. Now, reread what I wrote and realize it is exactly what you just said.

"You need a minimum amount of equipment and resources." You can not create things out of thin or no air.LOL You have to bring all the biological things that you will need-Seeds, animals, whatever. You have to bring at least a temporary habitat for yourself and whatever foods you will grow/raise. You have to bring enough technological/medical/etc equipment to be able to build, repair, heal yourself, etc...

"Once you have that minimum, you are independent and can sustain life indefinitely." The Moon has two sides that are quite unique. One is always lit by the Sun. The other is always in darkness. So, not only do you have an excellent source of sunlight for solar energy. But, you also have a hot and cold side that can be used for geothermal energy production.

Anyway...Again, you have to take enough stuff with you to get started. But, once you have that minimum, you can sustain yourself and easily increase your production to support more life...
Back to top Go down
Azriel

Azriel

Powerlevel : 4842

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

I think that it could be possible, although a lot of the stuff that you used would be purely artificial. I could imagine using some form of renewable water system, such as an underwater resevoire that filters the water so that it is clean to use and the drainage system continually fills the tank. You could simulate rain to maintain crop growth and run plumbing, do all that stuff.

I think that, by the time that we actually have the technology to construct bio-domes, a moon base could be made, then we can colonize the moon.
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Azriel wrote:
I think that it could be possible, although a lot of the stuff that you used would be purely artificial. I could imagine using some form of renewable water system, such as an underwater resevoire that filters the water so that it is clean to use and the drainage system continually fills the tank. You could simulate rain to maintain crop growth and run plumbing, do all that stuff.

I think that, by the time that we actually have the technology to construct bio-domes, a moon base could be made, then we can colonize the moon.

and then carry out plans to make that one way trip to mars.. neckbeard, i don't know about any of you, but i'd love to help colonize mars! I think that would be bad ass!
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 pm

clutch wrote:
Azriel wrote:

and then carry out plans to make that one way trip to mars.. neckbeard, i don't know about any of you, but i'd love to help colonize mars! I think that would be bad ass!

I am actually participating in a program through Boeing and UW and NASA that covers all of this stuff, do like 22 weeks of work and then when summer comes around I'll go to Seattle for a week and plan a mission to Mars...
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:58 pm

BryGuy wrote:
clutch wrote:
Azriel wrote:

I am actually participating in a program through Boeing and UW and NASA that covers all of this stuff, do like 22 weeks of work and then when summer comes around I'll go to Seattle for a week and plan a mission to Mars...

now i'm jealous. Do you think that the mission is going to happen?
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm

clutch wrote:
BryGuy wrote:
clutch wrote:
Azriel wrote:

It will be a LOOONNNG time before a mission to Mars happens.

Believe me or not. I don't care.

It will take a president with a high level of public confidence and a super high economic rating AND a high world confidence to make a mission to Mars possible.

A mission to Mars will require the world's support. OR, it will require the support of a nation along with a huge corporation.

A mission to Mars should not even be considered until we have a base on the Moon.

Mark my words...

A base on the Moon is the key to space exploration and colonization.
Back to top Go down
clutch
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
clutch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

MOTOKO wrote:
clutch wrote:
BryGuy wrote:
clutch wrote:
Azriel wrote:

It will be a LOOONNNG time before a mission to Mars happens.

Believe me or not. I don't care.

It will take a president with a high level of public confidence and a super high economic rating AND a high world confidence to make a mission to Mars possible.

A mission to Mars will require the world's support. OR, it will require the support of a nation along with a huge corporation.

A mission to Mars should not even be considered until we have a base on the Moon.

Mark my words...

yeah... in other words it'll take several thousand years. But who's to say humans will be around long enough for that anyways? The world seems like it's going to blow up any second. Look at Libya for example. I think WW lll is going to happen long before we get a base on the moon. And that war will end it all.

Becase war, war never changes.

(and if you read that last line in a different voice, you lose!)
Back to top Go down
Azriel

Azriel

Powerlevel : 4842

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 pm

MOTOKO wrote:

Absolutely. I mean, it would make sense that a moon base could also be used as an interplanetary space port. If we colonize the moon, we've almost made half the journey to Mars.

And we definitely need a strong economy. Any space colonization program founded with empty dollars isn't going to last or make any substantial progress. It'll be a target for budget hawks within politics too, so it probably wouldn't even stay for long if a program was founded.

A don't expect a private corporation to take control of space exploration / colonization.

Off topic: I wonder how awesome any sport would be on the moon. You know, like basketball? Dunks everywhere. Football? 200 yard throws. Soccer? Kicks for miles. That's what I would be most stoked for.

And ping-pong. That's the sport to play in areas of minimal gravity, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?   Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Think a Moon Base is Possible?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: Paranormal/Scifi-
Jump to: