The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
Freeware FTW! Vote_lcapFreeware FTW! Voting_barFreeware FTW! Vote_rcap 
Coda
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

Freeware FTW!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Powerlevel : 4918

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Let's get a discussion of freeware going, what are some of your favorite software? least favorite?
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Powerlevel : 5183

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 pm

bryguy9312 wrote:
Let's get a discussion of freeware going, what are some of your favorite software? least favorite?

VLC for media playback Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Powerlevel : 5008

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Definitely gotta agree with VLC. A few others I like are Reaper, Switch Sound File Converter, CCleaner, PowerISO, and IZArc. Love Chrome, too, of course Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
Definitely gotta agree with VLC. A few others I like are Reaper, Switch Sound File Converter, CCleaner, PowerISO, and IZArc. Love Chrome, too, of course Very Happy

I wouldn't really put Chrome in the same category as them. Sure, Chromium, but Chrome records everything I search for and every website I go to, and I really don't like this. Firefox 4 is turning out to be a great browser and IE9 is amazing, so there's no real reason to use Chrome now.
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:47 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
Chrome is a very nice browser, I don't really need file conversion software though, I use Vuze for my downloads, automatically converts and transfers files to devices.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Ugh, I hate IE. Never used Firefox, though. I don't really care what Chrome records. I've been using it long enough that I'd already have the FBI on my ass if they wanted me, lol. Now, if they're recording my information and selling it to third parties, that's different. Could do without the spam mail.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
Ugh, I hate IE. Never used Firefox, though. I don't really care what Chrome records. I've been using it long enough that I'd already have the FBI on my ass if they wanted me, lol. Now, if they're recording my information and selling it to third parties, that's different. Could do without the spam mail.

Have you used IE9? It's extremely fast and lightweight. The UI is simple. It's much like Chrome really, but without all the privacy infringement. Download the IE9 beta and I'm sure you'll change your mind.
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 pm

HeyVanity wrote:

IE will never be an option for me. I highly doubt that Google would sell or give personal info though, and you can use add ons like one click clean to remove cookies and searched words and stuff after each browsing session.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 pm

bryguy9312 wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

IE will never be an option for me. I highly doubt that Google would sell or give personal info though, and you can use add ons like one click clean to remove cookies and searched words and stuff after each browsing session.

Google do use your personal information though. Everything you type into the address bar, whether it's search or a URL, it gets sent to Google. Why will IE never be an option for you? As I've said, try out the IE9 beta.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with Chrome. No reason to go back to IE, even if 9 is completely different from 8.

Hadn't heard of Vuze before. Looks pretty sick, though, from what I can see. Might have to try it out.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Guys please go through the other threads and post in them. The forum is never going to become popular if it's dead in many places Smile
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:58 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with Chrome. No reason to go back to IE, even if 9 is completely different from 8.

Hadn't heard of Vuze before. Looks pretty sick, though, from what I can see. Might have to try it out.
Vuze is by far the best torrent software I've ever used, the only problem is you can't choose what files to download like in utorrent, you have to download the whole folder.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Coda wrote:
bryguy9312 wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

Google do use your personal information though. Everything you type into the address bar, whether it's search or a URL, it gets sent to Google. Why will IE never be an option for you? As I've said, try out the IE9 beta.

That's what I've heard. I honestly just don't care all that much, long as they're not selling my information. And I believe what you're saying about IE. I just have no reason to switch back to it right now. I'll certainly keep it in mind in case I stop using Chrome, though.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm

bryguy9312 wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

Vuze is by far the best torrent software I've ever used, the only problem is you can't choose what files to download like in utorrent, you have to download the whole folder.

Lame. Definitely a deal breaker for me. Curses! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Coda wrote:
Guys please go through the other threads and post in them. The forum is never going to become popular if it's dead in many places Smile

lol, sure thing. Let's get this bitch running!
Back to top Go down
BryGuy
Admin
BryGuy

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
bryguy9312 wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:

Lame. Definitely a deal breaker for me. Curses! Evil or Very Mad
meh, I would try it out anyway, don't have to use it for everything, and you might be able to find a way, I love it.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Just downloading 1.2GB of software in Ubuntu,so in 40 minutes I should have a load of new software to play around with Smile As simple as typing in the terminal too.

Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Powerlevel : 5159

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 pm

I like VLC. If WMP doesn't play it, VLC does. But, is there a way to go completely fullscreen with VLC?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/youshouldleavenow/
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

MOTOKO wrote:
I like VLC. If WMP doesn't play it, VLC does. But, is there a way to go completely fullscreen with VLC?

Just double-click, lol. I'm sure there's a button for it, though, as well.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:42 pm

MOTOKO wrote:

As HeyVanity said, if you double click the screen and then let go of your mouse so it doesn't move, the control bar will disappear and it'll be full screen.
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 pm

HeyVanity wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:

Nope and F11 just gets rid of the top minimize, max, quit buttons. Still a menubar at the top and an inch high control bar at the bottom. I think I might be able to DL a skin. I'll have to check that out.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

MOTOKO wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:

Nope and F11 just gets rid of the top minimize, max, quit buttons. Still a menubar at the top and an inch high control bar at the bottom. I think I might be able to DL a skin. I'll have to check that out.

You shouldn't have to. You literally just have to double-click the actual movie bit of the screen when the movie is playing and it should full screen. You're probably clicking the bar at the top!
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Coda wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:

You shouldn't have to. You literally just have to double-click the actual movie bit of the screen when the movie is playing and it should full screen. You're probably clicking the bar at the top!

Oh wow. That worked. I feel real stupid. I had gone through all the menu options and everything. Now, I really like VLC. That was the only thing that was a negative compared to WMP.

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
HeyVanity
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
HeyVanity

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:50 pm

MOTOKO wrote:
Coda wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:
HeyVanity wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:

Oh wow. That worked. I feel real stupid. I had gone through all the menu options and everything. Now, I really like VLC. That was the only thing that was a negative compared to WMP.

Thanks guys.

lol, no worries, man. Happens to the best of us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Freeware FTW! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freeware FTW!   Freeware FTW! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Freeware FTW!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: Software-
Jump to: