The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Vote_lcapWhat GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Voting_barWhat GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Vote_rcap 
Coda
What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Vote_lcapWhat GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Voting_barWhat GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Vote_rcap 
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Powerlevel : 5213

What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Empty
PostSubject: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 am

Ubuntu here, no reason for me to use any other distro. My computer is fast and I notice no performance difference between Ubuntu and something more lightweight. I also have no desire to customise how my desktop looks.
Back to top Go down
vazarax

vazarax

Powerlevel : 4919

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Dual booting XP and ubuntu on my desktop. Running Lubuntu on my old shitty laptop. Then I've got Mint on a 8gb usb stick.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

Powerlevel : 5456

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm

i keep a cd sleeve thing in my backpack with 30 distros or so and slew of windows/mac operating systems at all times, my top distros are :

-ubuntu - works well, easy to configure, everything is done and installed in less than hour
-fedora - simillar ui but smaller and more for dev. my college teaches linux with fedora
-pup linux - legacy hardware runs it well
-damn small linux - small as hell, and runs even better on old stuff than pup
-sabayon - just looks cool
-vixta - good windows aero style front end, just pretty
-mint - good old mint, reliable and small, just not as user friendly as ubuntu
Back to top Go down
https://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 am

Admin wrote:
i keep a cd sleeve thing in my backpack with 30 distros or so and slew of windows/mac operating systems at all times, my top distros are :

-ubuntu - works well, easy to configure, everything is done and installed in less than hour
-fedora - simillar ui but smaller and more for dev. my college teaches linux with fedora

You should put your most used distros or the small ones you use for recovery etc onto a USB drive. "Universal USB installer" is great and it allows you to download and install a load of distros right from within the program.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Coda wrote:
Admin wrote:

You should put your most used distros or the small ones you use for recovery etc onto a USB drive. "Universal USB installer" is great and it allows you to download and install a load of distros right from within the program.

thx for heads up i will look into that
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am

Switched to Fedora since posting this Very Happy It doesn't have as many packages, but I prefer it to Ubuntu. I've been switching between GNOME and XFCE, although GNOME is a little easier on the eyes.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

my college uses fedora for all its linux classes
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm

The university i'll be going to in October uses RHEL, so I guess Fedora is the closest I can get to being familar with RHEL.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

its too bad no one uses sabayon. is RHEL debian based?
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
its too bad no one uses sabayon. is RHEL debian based?

I believe so. I think it's just Fedora with support and a few extras. Not looked into it too much.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

ah ok. i like debian stuff mostly. only use them mostly. tho pup linux and dsl are great despite being knoppix based
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: GNU/Unix General :: Open Source Software-
Jump to: