The Neckbeard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Vote_lcapAnyone purchased an SSD yet? Voting_barAnyone purchased an SSD yet? Vote_rcap 
Coda
Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Vote_lcapAnyone purchased an SSD yet? Voting_barAnyone purchased an SSD yet? Vote_rcap 
MOTOKO
clutch
HeyVanity
BryGuy
vazarax
Nickloves
Link
Protoid
Advertisements

Anyone purchased an SSD yet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

Powerlevel : 5184

Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 pm

I've been taking a look at SSDs recently, and although they're still quite expensive (and even more expensive in the UK) I think it's almost time to take the dip. If I wait until the price drops, I'll find that I'm always waiting Very Happy

Has anyone used one personally yet? I'm thinking of buying a low capacity SSD and sticking Windows and any other speed-essential programs on it, and then buying one or two 1TB WD Blacks (sticking them in RAID0 if I have 2) for the rest of my programs.

This badboy is the SSD I'm looking at the most, but at over £100 with delivery it's quite expensive.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

Powerlevel : 5427

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 pm

first: get spinpoints, barricudas, or deskstars not wd

and for ssds get one of the new onese taking advantage of new sandforce chips, i suggest getting intel(gag i know, intel) or OCZ. dont pay any less than 120 dollars(USD) for one.
Back to top Go down
https://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 am

Her_Sir wrote:
first: get spinpoints, barricudas, or deskstars not wd

and for ssds get one of the new onese taking advantage of new sandforce chips, i suggest getting intel(gag i know, intel) or OCZ. dont pay any less than 120 dollars(USD) for one.

Any particular reason? The WD Blacks are SATAIII, have 64MB of cache and come with 5 years warranty. I've never had a single HDD fail on me so the whole reliability thing is bollocks to me.

And I don't even think it's possible to buy an SSD that's under $120 here in the UK Very Happy The cheapest ones I have found are around the equivalent $130!
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 pm

ive seen some pretty shitty ssds like 20 gig for 70 bucks :\ so unreliable. but yeah i have barricudas from early 90s that work, i just trust them. i hear the WD greens fail often. i had a WD scorpio fail on me as well. my friends WD external failed. im just paranoid since i hoard memory and losing it is never an option.
Back to top Go down
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 am

Her_Sir wrote:
ive seen some pretty shitty ssds like 20 gig for 70 bucks :\ so unreliable. but yeah i have barricudas from early 90s that work, i just trust them. i hear the WD greens fail often. i had a WD scorpio fail on me as well. my friends WD external failed. im just paranoid since i hoard memory and losing it is never an option.

Not sure whether to go for one of these badass motherfuckers, or just get a regular SSD instead. They're a hell of a lot faster, and 50GB is all I would need.
Back to top Go down
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

seems like its very nice. as long as your mobo can boot from pcie slot you should be fine
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Powerlevel : 5160

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Coda wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

Not sure whether to go for one of these badass motherfuckers, or just get a regular SSD instead. They're a hell of a lot faster, and 50GB is all I would need.

NO. The RevoDrives don't have trim support.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/youshouldleavenow/
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
Coda

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 5:21 am

MOTOKO wrote:
Coda wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

That's because it's not necessary with them Smile I can't remember the reason, but I've read that it's not needed on the PCI-E drives like it is on the SATA ones.
Back to top Go down
MOTOKO
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
MOTOKO

Powerlevel : 5160

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Coda wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:
Coda wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

That's because it's not necessary with them Smile I can't remember the reason, but I've read that it's not needed on the PCI-E drives like it is on the SATA ones.

Please try to find where you read that. I would be greatly interested to see what it says.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/youshouldleavenow/
Her_Sir
Admin
Her_Sir

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 pm

MOTOKO wrote:
Coda wrote:
MOTOKO wrote:
Coda wrote:
Her_Sir wrote:

Please try to find where you read that. I would be greatly interested to see what it says.

i also wonder
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone purchased an SSD yet?   Anyone purchased an SSD yet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone purchased an SSD yet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: Hardware-
Jump to: