The Neckbeard Forum

Talk Techy To Me
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Her_Sir
 
Coda
 
MOTOKO
 
clutch
 
HeyVanity
 
BryGuy
 
vazarax
 
Nickloves
 
Link
 
Protoid
 
Advertisements

Share | 
 

 What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
avatar

Posts : 181
Powerlevel : 3222
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-02-26
Age : 25
Location : Manchester, UK

PostSubject: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 am

Ubuntu here, no reason for me to use any other distro. My computer is fast and I notice no performance difference between Ubuntu and something more lightweight. I also have no desire to customise how my desktop looks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vazarax

avatar

Posts : 44
Powerlevel : 2930
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-02-26
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Dual booting XP and ubuntu on my desktop. Running Lubuntu on my old shitty laptop. Then I've got Mint on a 8gb usb stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Her_Sir
Admin
avatar

Posts : 229
Powerlevel : 3464
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm

i keep a cd sleeve thing in my backpack with 30 distros or so and slew of windows/mac operating systems at all times, my top distros are :

-ubuntu - works well, easy to configure, everything is done and installed in less than hour
-fedora - simillar ui but smaller and more for dev. my college teaches linux with fedora
-pup linux - legacy hardware runs it well
-damn small linux - small as hell, and runs even better on old stuff than pup
-sabayon - just looks cool
-vixta - good windows aero style front end, just pretty
-mint - good old mint, reliable and small, just not as user friendly as ubuntu
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
avatar

Posts : 181
Powerlevel : 3222
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-02-26
Age : 25
Location : Manchester, UK

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 am

Admin wrote:
i keep a cd sleeve thing in my backpack with 30 distros or so and slew of windows/mac operating systems at all times, my top distros are :

-ubuntu - works well, easy to configure, everything is done and installed in less than hour
-fedora - simillar ui but smaller and more for dev. my college teaches linux with fedora
-pup linux - legacy hardware runs it well
-damn small linux - small as hell, and runs even better on old stuff than pup
-sabayon - just looks cool
-vixta - good windows aero style front end, just pretty
-mint - good old mint, reliable and small, just not as user friendly as ubuntu

You should put your most used distros or the small ones you use for recovery etc onto a USB drive. "Universal USB installer" is great and it allows you to download and install a load of distros right from within the program.

_________________
The Neckbeard Forum Moderator

On a mission to make TNF awesome!
Don't forget to give positive reputation to useful posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Her_Sir
Admin
avatar

Posts : 229
Powerlevel : 3464
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Coda wrote:
Admin wrote:
i keep a cd sleeve thing in my backpack with 30 distros or so and slew of windows/mac operating systems at all times, my top distros are :

-ubuntu - works well, easy to configure, everything is done and installed in less than hour
-fedora - simillar ui but smaller and more for dev. my college teaches linux with fedora
-pup linux - legacy hardware runs it well
-damn small linux - small as hell, and runs even better on old stuff than pup
-sabayon - just looks cool
-vixta - good windows aero style front end, just pretty
-mint - good old mint, reliable and small, just not as user friendly as ubuntu

You should put your most used distros or the small ones you use for recovery etc onto a USB drive. "Universal USB installer" is great and it allows you to download and install a load of distros right from within the program.

thx for heads up i will look into that
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
avatar

Posts : 181
Powerlevel : 3222
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-02-26
Age : 25
Location : Manchester, UK

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am

Switched to Fedora since posting this Very Happy It doesn't have as many packages, but I prefer it to Ubuntu. I've been switching between GNOME and XFCE, although GNOME is a little easier on the eyes.

_________________
The Neckbeard Forum Moderator

On a mission to make TNF awesome!
Don't forget to give positive reputation to useful posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Her_Sir
Admin
avatar

Posts : 229
Powerlevel : 3464
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

my college uses fedora for all its linux classes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
avatar

Posts : 181
Powerlevel : 3222
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-02-26
Age : 25
Location : Manchester, UK

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm

The university i'll be going to in October uses RHEL, so I guess Fedora is the closest I can get to being familar with RHEL.

_________________
The Neckbeard Forum Moderator

On a mission to make TNF awesome!
Don't forget to give positive reputation to useful posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Her_Sir
Admin
avatar

Posts : 229
Powerlevel : 3464
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

its too bad no one uses sabayon. is RHEL debian based?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Coda
Posts On Reboot Badge
Posts On Reboot Badge
avatar

Posts : 181
Powerlevel : 3222
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-02-26
Age : 25
Location : Manchester, UK

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Her_Sir wrote:
its too bad no one uses sabayon. is RHEL debian based?

I believe so. I think it's just Fedora with support and a few extras. Not looked into it too much.

_________________
The Neckbeard Forum Moderator

On a mission to make TNF awesome!
Don't forget to give positive reputation to useful posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Her_Sir
Admin
avatar

Posts : 229
Powerlevel : 3464
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

ah ok. i like debian stuff mostly. only use them mostly. tho pup linux and dsl are great despite being knoppix based
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://neckbeardforum.forumcanadien.org
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?   

Back to top Go down
 
What GNU/Linux distro are you using, and why?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Linux Based Stable Solution for VoIP Business!!
» Linux based VoIP Switch with Integrated Billing only $2/port
» How to install Selenium RC on Linux fedora
» How to install Selenium IDE on Linux fedora
» Touchscreen testing

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Neckbeard Forum :: General Threads :: GNU/Unix General :: Open Source Software-
Jump to: